Pictures from Enamelling Class, Sheffield – March 2017
Enamelling Class at Croydon High School
Next class: 6, 13, 20, 27 November and 4 December 2017. Monday 7-9pm £63.
Please contact me for availability of places.
- Mixed ability course. All levels welcome.
- Progress at own pace with individual support from tutor.
- Beginners will follow a structured series of tasks to introduce basic skills and techniques
No prior knowledge of enamelling is required but some practical aptitude is expected. The images above show examples of beginners enamelling techniques that may be made in class. These were samples but actual pendants and earrings are also possible.
What Will I Make?
By the end of the course, depending on your level of experience you should be able to complete a selection of the following:
- Pair of Earrings
- Pair of Cufflinks
- Small dish or tile
The following topics are covered. Each term the exact content is agreed in the class so small groups are working on similar projects.
- Preparation of metal
- Sifting of enamel
- Firing of own work in the kiln
- Use of decorative media
- Application of wires
- Use of transfers
- Wet laying of enamels
- Use of stencils and Riso screens
- Surface Finishing
- Ways to transform finished enamels into wearable jewellery
- How to realise a design into a completed enamel project
Teaching and Learning Methods
- Class discussion
- Projects set by the Tutor
- Individual projects
- One to one support to develop and work on own individual projects.
If there is something you would like me to cover that is not listed here, then please contact me to discuss.